CARSA is co-implementing the Smart Tourism Destinations pilot project for the European Commission.
The objective of the initiative is to raise the profile of Europe as a smart tourism destination by supporting EU cities to improve their data mastering abilities – i.e., the ability to collect, curate and re-use data on tourism.
Overall, the project is structured in 3 work packages:
- A study “Mastering data for tourism by EU cities”
- Developing a toolkit, guidebook/blueprint for urban tourism destinations for mastering data as well as for strengthening cooperation on smart tourism at EU level
- Defining recommendations for follow-up actions on mastering data for tourism
The tasks/WPs include:
- a wide-ranging literature review
- workshops with cities and local stakeholders
- interviews with industry experts
- managing two open calls for expression of interest from cities (using CARSA’s EMS tool)
- training, advice and capacity-building for city representatives
- field visits and matchmaking events for peer-learning with the selected cities